Lately I’ve been somewhere halfway between wanting to sell all my stuff to be a nomad and knowing I need to be a responsible adult with a steady job.
I mean, come on. What 20-something fresh-out-of-college doesn’t sit at their day job every once in a while and wish they were climbing a mountain in Iceland instead? (Or sitting on a beach in Greece, or sipping on wine and munching on cheese on a cobble stone street in Italy, etc, etc.) Regardless, I remember I need my health insurance and the steady paycheck keeps my life low stress, so I opt for something in the middle—working a responsible day job and spending my weekends exploring, hiking, eating and traveling.
Chicken Caesar Pizza is basically the food-equivalent of my nomad-responsible life compromise. You know, like you really just want pizza but you know you should be eating a salad. So instead you just put your salad on a pizza and it sounds like it won’t work, but it so, totally does. Trust me, you guys.
So before you stop reading and skip this recipe all together, I was skeptical too. There’s a fast-casual pizza place here in Phoenix called Sauce (and it’s amazing). They have a chicken Caesar pizza, so I can’t take credit for this idea, but my friend Ashley is obsessed with it. She would get it every time we went and for whatever reason I just thought it sounded so disgusting. Plus, I was still holding out on my responsible side, I just wanted a pure, greasy pizza, I wasn’t at compromise level yet. Then one day I was really feeling like a salad but couldn’t not have some delicious Sauce pizza, so I did it. I got the Chicken Caesar Pizza and it’s my new go-to.
I couldn’t believe how great it was and immediately knew I needed to make it at home. A refreshing pizza seems like an anomaly, but this really is one and it’s perfect for these warmer temps. It’s like eating a Caesar salad on top of a giant, cheesy crouton instead of having to try to poke the croutons with your fork and winding up with just a bunch of crouton dust. I mean, it’s a Caesar salad you can eat with your hands, I don’t think it gets any better than that.
- 1 10-inch premade pizza crust (I use the ones from the refrigerator section at Whole Foods and Sprouts)
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces of shredded chicken breast (leftovers work great, or see note below for cooking instructions)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 drops Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 heaping cup chopped romaine lettuce
- ¼ cup halved cherry tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees, or according to the package directions on your pizza crust.
- Top the pizza crust with both cheeses and place in the oven on a baking sheet or pizza stone and bake for about 15 min (or according to package directions) or until crust is crisp and cheesy is golden and bubbly.
- Meanwhile, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire, garlic, salt and pepper and whisk until combined to form dressing.
- Toss the dressing with the romaine, tomatoes and chicken (for cooking directions, see note below). Place the salad mix on top of the cooked pizza and top with any desired extra Parmesan.
- **To cook chicken, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Season the chicken breast with olive oil, salt, pepper and oregano to taste. Bake on a foil-lined baking sheet for 35 minutes. Let cool, then shred with fingers.