Happy Halloweek, everyone! If I haven’t mentioned it already, Halloween is my favorite holiday. So many good movies, so much good food and such a good excuse to wear sweatpants out in public. This year however, my costume requires overalls—any guesses on who I’m dressing up as?
This Halloween is also a little strange for me, because (if you follow me on Instagram you already know this), I’m in Hawaii! Never has a Halloweek been so full of hiking, beaches, snorkeling and luaus but we’ve been making plenty of time for Halloweentown during breakfast, don’t you fret one bit! Sailor man Ryan got stationed on Oahu for the next two years so our visits have moved from Florida to Hawaii, and I can’t say I’m mad about it. We’ve been keeping so busy every day that we’ve fallen asleep between 8–10 each night (how old are we again?) and I can’t wait to share all the photos and neat activities we’ve been doing!
Now, about these spooky treats, because oh my gosh. Y’all must think I’m just obsessed with rice crispy treats and emojis, and you would be right. My main gal Melissa and I were texting about two months ago about when it becomes OK to post Halloween themed everything (if you haven’t checked out her site in a while, pop on over there right now for all things Halloween) and I just couldn’t get over how cute that little ghosty was. So after my first installment of Emoji Crispy Treats was such a success, I knew I need to bring ’em back Halloween style.
What’s even better, these treats don’t only look like Halloween, they taste like it too! I replaced the butter with a bit of nutty brown butter and pureed pumpkin and added a dash of cinnamon for this October treat that tastes like fall in your mouth. Then each one is easily punched out with this ghost cookie cutter then the gooey, sticky, spicy, full of flavor little ghosts get topped with smooth, creamy white chocolate and a dark chocolate face that’s almost too cute to eat, but I know you’re better than that.
- 6 cups crisped rice cereal
- 1 10-ounce bag mini marshmallows
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup white chocolate chips (or melting chocolate)
- ¼ cup semisweet chocolate chips (or melting chocolate)
- 1 ghost cookie cutter
- In a small saucepan, cook the butter over medium-high heat until brown solids begin to form, remove from heat.
- Place the marshmallows and butter in a large, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for about one minute. Stir, and continue to microwave in 20-second intervals until entirely melted and smooth.
- Stir in the pumpkin puree and cinnamon, then the crisped rice cereal until coated evenly.
- Press into a greased 8x8 inch pan. Allow to cool in fridge (twenty minutes) or freezer (ten minutes).
- Remove the pan from the fridge/freezer and use a greased ghost cookie cutter to cut out as many ghosts as you can. Take the leftover rice crispy mix and press it into the cookie cutter to make more ghosts until you run out of mix.
- Melt the white chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Stir, then continue to microwave in 20-second intervals until completely melted.
- Spread a thin layer of the melted white chocolate chips on top of each ghost, so you can't see the cereal through.
- Melt the semisweet chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl for 20 seconds, stir, then continue to microwave in 10-second intervals until completely melted. Transfer to a plastic zipper bag.
- Cut the very tip of one corner of the bag creating a very small hole and pipe on the face of the ghost. For emoji ghosts make one small eye, one big eye, a half-smile and a tongue sticking out.
- Allow to cool and harden, then serve!