Happy Galentine’s Day! I hope you’re all off celebrating with girlfriends, eating brunch and wearing purple—Leslie Knope is a brilliant character. Now I’m just wishing I made a brunch recipe. Why didn’t I make a brunch recipe? OK, someone remind me next year to make a Galentine’s Day brunch recipe.
But for those of you that work this, flatbread is a great nighttime celebration for Galentine’s Day (which I think needs a male or co-ed equivalent, by the way. Maybe guysentine’s day, buddytine’s day—I don’t know, I need sleep). I also think it makes a great date-night-in if your more into the Valentine’s Day thing. More than anything, February is quickly gaining on December for most appetizer-heavy month. Between the Super Bowl, Valentine’s Day, the Grammys and the Oscars, there are a lot of hey-d0-you-want-to-come-over-and-eat-with-me-because-we-have-an-excuse nights. And this recipe is perfect for those nights. The half-homemade recipe is easy to put together, cuts up easily for grabby bites on a platter but can also be made and served with a salad and glass of wine for a nice dinner for a night solo or with another.
In the past few years I’ve been all about goat cheese on salads. It’s just so smooth, creamy and tangy and I love it. The only problem is, when I buy that log of goat cheese, I use it on some salads throughout the week and the rest sits in the fridge going unused until I inevitably throw it out. So because I hate throwing away food (because, food), I’ve been expanding my goat cheese horizons starting with Mediterranean Flatbread. Crisp red pepper, red onion and spinach top a crunchy flatbread covered with flavorful pesto intertwined with browned, creamy goat cheese.
- 1 10-inch prepared flatbread or pizza crust (I used Smart Flour Foods gluten free pizza crusts)
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- ½ cup spinach
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- ¼ cup chopped red pepper
- 1 ounce goat cheese
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees (with a pizza stone on the middle rack, if available, otherwise use a cookie sheet).
- Spread the pesto over the flatbread/crust. Top with the spinach then red onion and pepper and top with crumbled goat cheese.
- Bake the pizza for about 10 minutes or until the crust and cheese is lightly golden.