I grew up in small town Iowa. A real small town, almost like Stars Hollow in Gilmore Girls, but a little bigger, as in the shelves in our grocery store were taller. There were a lot of things I didn’t like about living in a small town, but there are a lot of things I loved and even miss now that I don’t live there. Example: The corner coffee shop that doubles as an old fashioned soda fountain. “You mean like Taylor’s Olde Fashioned Soda Shoppe?” Yes, that’s exactly what I mean.
Want a frothy latte (or an apple cider steamer … oops, sorry, not Fall yet)? How about a peanut butter fudge ice cream cone? Great, you can get both here. But the best of all — a strawberry peach tea zing. A smooth frozen drink made from the flavor tea concentrates of your choice. It had about 1,000 less calories than a smoothie, if you can imagine that, but all the delicious, sweet, fruity flavor. Now without access to those tea zings and with my effort to cut back on added, refined sugar, I’ve worked on finding delicious fruitiness elsewhere.
I found this recipe for refined sugar free frozen yogurt on Pinterest and immediately knew how to get my tea zing-esque fix. Quick blended instant strawberry yogurt topped with no sugar added fizzy peach soda makes for the perfect end of summer treat. It’s definitely not low in sugar (I did say treat, after all), but all the sugars are natural plus you have the added bonus of real fruit and yogurt for a nutritious 1-2 punch.
- 1-10 ounce frozen fruit (strawberries, mango, peaches, etc)
- 1-6 ounce plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4-12 ounce Izze sodas (blackberry, peach, clementine, etc)
- Combine the frozen fruit, yogurt and honey together in a blender or food processor until smooth and creamy.
- Scoop two ice cream-sized scoops into each of four glasses and top with the Izze's soda.
- NOTE: Play with different flavors to find your favorite combinations. Pictured here: Mango frozen yogurt + blackberry Izze and strawberry frozen yogurt + peach Izze.