Countdown to a holiday weekend! Which, in my mind reads, “Cook-off to a holiday weekend!” Because nothing says Labor Day like tons of food, sun, family, friends and trading summer in for fall. Which would be sad if fall wasn’t so fantastic (well, and if I didn’t live in Phoenix. Switching from summer to fall is as sweet as kissing winter away in the northern states).
So you’ve got your margaritas (have you guys tried them yet? Not to brag, but aren’t they fantastic?) and you’ll need some food to go with them. I hate it when I go to parties and the only food anyone brings are really just snacks—mounds of chips, fruit, candy, cookies, etc. Can a girl get a little gluten-free sustenance?
Well this ceviche is just that, plus it’s a mega crowd pleaser. We had some at my Aunt’s 70th birthday party recently, and my dad loved it, which meant I needed to come up with a recipe for him ASAP. The best thing about this chilled salad full of protein-packed shrimp and colorful veggies with a Mexican flair is that it’s so versatile. You can serve it as an appetizer with chips, toss it in with fresh greens to make a salad or use it to fill up warm tortillas for some tasty tacos.
- ½ pound shrimp, shells and tails off, cleaned, cooked and chilled (I used cooked jumbo shrimp from the freezer aisle, thawed)
- ½ cucumber, diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Once the shrimp are cleaned, cooked and chilled, or thawed, chop them into bite-sized pieces. I cut my jumbo shrimp into 3 pieces, each.
- Next dice all the vegetables and toss in a bowl.
- Add the garlic, cilantro, vinegar, lime juice and olive oil and toss until evenly coated and mixed. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with tortilla chips, on warm tortillas or over salad greens.